Chester began as a Roman fort named
Deva Victrix, in AD79. The Romans left
the area around 410.
The area continued to prosper after
the Romans left, and expanded more during
Saxon rule from the 600s.
William the Conqueror, from Normandy
in France, took control of England and
Chester from 1066, leading to modern
William the Conqueror had a castle
built at Chester to protect the area and
secure the Welsh border.
The old Roman walls were rebuilt and
extended from this time, being completed
in the 1100s.
These walls run round the oldest part
of Chester, at about 2 miles around, now
a top visitor attration.
The earlist parts of Chester
Cathedral are from 1093, with much of
what can be seen today from the 1200s and
Many of the timber framed buildings
around Chester centre, such as in the
image top, were built from the 1400s to
1800s. View a list
of old buildings to view.
Clock is situated on the East Gate in
Chester centre, where the entrance to the
Roman Fort was situated. This is claimed
to be the second most photoghraphed clock
in England, after Big Ben in London.
The present Eastgate was built in
1768, with the clock being added in 1899
to celebrate the diamond jubilee of Queen
Hall was completed in 1869 in gothic
revival style. The Town Hall is now
mainly used for functions and
Amphitheatre in Chester centre was
discovered in 1929 during gardening work
at Dee House. This amphitheatre is the
largest found in Britain so far, dated to
The Newgate Arch
Bridge on Pepper Street was built in
1938 to allow more traffic in and out of
Chester. The old city wall path runs over
The River Dee runs through the centre
of Chester popular for scenic walks,
hire, and kyaking lessons.
More history of Chester at: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester